Monday, June 27, 2011

Summertime fun... Ice Skating!

While ice skating for El's birthday I noticed a flyer for Summer Blitz Lessons. Eva skated for the first time at El's party and also loved it. El is always asking to go skating and I thought this would be a great summer activity. It was a week of daily lessons and then as much open skate time as you wanted. The ages were listed as 6 and up. Eva is 5. I called and they said she could try it and if it worked out, no problem. Well... it didn't work out so well. She was in tears in the first five minutes. So the rest of the week while El was in lessons I was skating with Eva. Here is a video from one of our days.

We had to dress warmly to skate. We spent from two to three hours there each day. It would take me at least two hours to thaw back out. We got some pretty funny looks when we went out to lunch. We were at Chipolte and sitting outside. As you know we are hitting the 100 degree mark each day. At this point it was well into the 90's. I am quite comfortably enjoying my lunch in a fleece jacket and Ugg boots. It was amusing to see the questions in peoples eyes as they looked us over! Only one person questioned me about it all week.

3 comments:

Katie said...

This looks like so much fun! You girls should visit DC sometime. There was a great outdoor skating rink there. Well I guess y'all could visit any northern city for an outdoor skate, maybe one in Ohio would be a better idea ;)
Thanks for the post!

Kelly said...

You'll have to visit Austin as we have an outdoor rink during the holidays!!!
See you at Christmas:)

Katie said...

I don't enjoy swimming in a foot of water fully clothed with skates attached to my feet. Would you explain how and outdoor rink survives the wonderful Austin temperature?
~your true follower :)
And OK!